Sam First is a jazz club and cocktail bar, a few minutes walk from the LAX terminals. Featuring serious drinks, local beers and fine wines, spectacular first class lounge-of-your-dreams styling, and world-class modern and straight-ahead jazz.
A LIVE JAZZ EXPERIENCE
Sam First is proud to feature today's best modern and straight-ahead jazz artists five nights a week in a listening room so unique and intimate it'll feel like you're on stage with the band. The combination of the amazing room acoustics and one of LA's most loved Yamaha C7x grand pianos makes for an irresistible listening experience. All shows are currently in-person and nearly all are live streamed so you can watch from anywhere!
ALL SENSES ENGAGED
Our carefully curated selection of craft cocktails, local beers and wines, and bar snacks are the perfect pairings for a night of jazz.
A NIGHT OF FIRST CLASS STYLE
From the industrial interior structures and original photography to the vintage mid-century modern furniture, Sam First provides a space that inspires its musicians and patrons alike.
- Tue 10 Oct10TueOct“Tuesday Happenings”: Hosted by Jeff Parker/Sam FirstOct 10, 7:30 PM – 10:30 PMJeff Parker, one of contemporary music’s most versatile and innovative electric guitarists and composers, leads the happenings! House band performs one set at 7:30pm followed by a jam session from 9-11pm. Jam session participants use coupon code SAM1JAM for a discounted 2nd set.
- Oct 11, 7:30 PM – 10:30 PMPia Salvia travels the world, exploring different musical traditions and infusing those elements into her unique sound. After honing her craft in NYC, the award-winning Belgian harpist and vocalist now calls Los Angeles her home. Help us welcome Salvia for her inaugural performance at Sam First.
- Oct 17, 7:30 PM – 10:30 PMFascinated by the blend of western classical music with jazz, Vardan Ovsepian has been in perpetual search for unique ways of incorporating the hybrid formation in his composing and improvising. Join Ovsepian and Velichkin for an unforgettable night of unique and masterful compositions.
- Oct 19, 7:30 PM – 10:30 PMAward-winning performer and composer, Dr. Milen Kirov combines his Bulgarian music heritage and concert pianist background with contemporary composition, jazz, world music, and improvisation. Kirov is joined by saxophonist/clarinetist Michael Mull for an evening of genre-bending musical exploration.
- Fri 20 Oct20FriOctSam First Piano Fest: Cathlene Pineda Quartet/Sam FirstOct 20, 7:30 PM – 10:30 PMDescribed as “a true piano genius (who) paints a wonderful portrait of personal experiences that will reach right out and touch your soul…”, contemporary pianist/composer Pineda has collaborated with creative greats Art Lande, Wadada Leo Smith, Albert “Tootie” Heath, Bobby Bradford, and Vinny Golia.
- Oct 21, 7:30 PM – 10:30 PM"Beasley, the one-time keyboardist for Freddie Hubbard and Miles Davis, reflects a variety of generational influences, incorporating the emphatic chordal clusters of Herbie Hancock, the rhythmic quirkiness of Monk and the lush intelligence of Art Tatum into a highly refined personal voice." -LATimes
- Oct 24, 7:30 PM – 10:30 PMLeading off week two of Sam First's "Piano Fest" is 2017 Ravinia Composition Fellow Adam Hersh. One of LA's most valued pianists, both as a leader and a sideman, his performances always deliver an eclectic mix of original music and that of favorite composers-- Wayne Shorter, Alan Holdsworth, etc.