Beginning May 4, Sam First will be presenting a weekly live outdoor jazz series on Tuesdays at “Second Home Hollywood.”
Right in the heart of East Hollywood, creative workspace and cultural venue Second Home Hollywood is a low rise, open-air campus offering the healthiest space to work in the city.With 6,500 trees and plants across the two-acre workspace, it's the densest urban forest in LA. Second Home believes that diversity makes creativity stronger, so their workspaces, events and communities are designed to bring different types of people, organizations and industries together in new ways.
All shows are outdoor and will be following all CDC protocol for live outdoor events.
- Tue, Oct 03Sam FirstOct 03, 7:30 PM – 10:30 PM"Tuesday Happenings" is a weekly series curated by 6x GRAMMY-nominated pianist/composer Gerald Clayton. House band performs one set at 7:30pm followed by a jam session from 9-11pm. Jam session participants use coupon code SAM1JAM for a discounted 2nd set.
- Wed, Oct 04Sam FirstOct 04, 7:30 PM – 10:30 PMKreisberg has built a strong worldwide following and has influenced the next generation of musicians with his unique combination of timeless melodicism and forward-thinking lines and textures.
- Thu, Oct 05Sam FirstOct 05, 7:30 PM – 10:30 PMKreisberg has built a strong worldwide following and has influenced the next generation of musicians with his unique combination of timeless melodicism and forward-thinking lines and textures.
- Fri, Oct 06Sam FirstOct 06, 7:30 PM – 10:30 PMFour-time Grammy Award Winner Oscar Hernández has long been considered one of the most gifted and prominent pianist/arrangers on the contemporary Latin, Latin-jazz and salsa music scene.
- Sat, Oct 07Sam FirstOct 07, 7:30 PM – 10:30 PMPianist/composer describes his style as "Jazz meets everything else." Having collaborated with everyone from Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke, and Bob Mintzer to Kamasi Washington, Thundercat, and Josh Groban, Sirota's music covers a wide variety of genres.
- Tue, Oct 10Sam FirstOct 10, 7:30 PM – 10:30 PMJeff Parker, one of contemporary music’s most versatile and innovative electric guitarists and composers, leads the happenings! House band performs one set at 7:30pm followed by a jam session from 9-11pm. Jam session participants use coupon code SAM1JAM for a discounted 2nd set.
- Wed, Oct 11Sam FirstOct 11, 7:30 PM – 10:30 PMPia Salvia travels the world, exploring different musical traditions and infusing those elements into her unique sound. After honing her craft in NYC, the award-winning Belgian harpist and vocalist now calls Los Angeles her home. Help us welcome Salvia for her inaugural performance at Sam First.
- Thu, Oct 12Sam FirstMiki Yamanaka Quartet feat. Mark Turner "Shades Of Rainbow" release show with Tyrone Allen & Jimmy MacbrideOct 12, 7:30 PM – 10:30 PMJapanese-born pianist Miki Yamanaka and has established herself as one of the leading personalities of her generation. Known for her light, expressive touch, Yamanaka delights audiences with both her playing and vibrant personality.
- Fri, Oct 13Sam FirstOct 13, 7:30 PM – 10:30 PMKathleen Grace’s sound bridges traditional and nostalgic with an approachable modernity, taking her jazz into the blues, folk and pop-leaning realms. Grace makes her Sam First return after a three-year hiatus, celebrating the healing power of music.
- Sat, Oct 14Sam FirstOct 14, 7:30 PM – 10:30 PMKathleen Grace’s sound bridges traditional and nostalgic with an approachable modernity, taking her jazz into the blues, folk and pop-leaning realms. Grace makes her Sam First return after a three-year hiatus, celebrating the healing power of music.
- Tue, Oct 17Sam FirstOct 17, 7:30 PM – 10:30 PMFascinated by the blend of western classical music with jazz, Vardan Ovsepian has been in perpetual search for unique ways of incorporating the hybrid formation in his composing and improvising. Join Ovsepian and Velichkin for an unforgettable night of unique and masterful compositions.
- Wed, Oct 18Sam FirstOct 18, 7:30 PM – 10:30 PMKnown for his versatility and virtuosity, multi-GRAMMY-nominated pianist, keyboardist and arranger Otmaro Ruiz has had an extensive career collaborating with John McLaughlin, Dianne Reeves, Randy Brecker, Simon Phillips, Billy Cobham, Gino Vannelli, and Arturo Sandoval.
- Thu, Oct 19Sam FirstOct 19, 7:30 PM – 10:30 PMAward-winning performer and composer, Dr. Milen Kirov combines his Bulgarian music heritage and concert pianist background with contemporary composition, jazz, world music, and improvisation. Kirov is joined by saxophonist/clarinetist Michael Mull for an evening of genre-bending musical exploration.
- Fri, Oct 20Sam FirstOct 20, 7:30 PM – 10:30 PMDescribed as “a true piano genius (who) paints a wonderful portrait of personal experiences that will reach right out and touch your soul…”, contemporary pianist/composer Pineda has collaborated with creative greats Art Lande, Wadada Leo Smith, Albert “Tootie” Heath, Bobby Bradford, and Vinny Golia.
- Sat, Oct 21Sam FirstOct 21, 7:30 PM – 10:30 PM"Beasley, the one-time keyboardist for Freddie Hubbard and Miles Davis, reflects a variety of generational influences, incorporating the emphatic chordal clusters of Herbie Hancock, the rhythmic quirkiness of Monk and the lush intelligence of Art Tatum into a highly refined personal voice." -LATimes
- Tue, Oct 24Sam FirstOct 24, 7:30 PM – 10:30 PMLeading off week two of Sam First's "Piano Fest" is 2017 Ravinia Composition Fellow Adam Hersh. One of LA's most valued pianists, both as a leader and a sideman, his performances always deliver an eclectic mix of original music and that of favorite composers-- Wayne Shorter, Alan Holdsworth, etc.
- Wed, Oct 25Sam FirstOct 25, 7:30 PM – 10:30 PMMulgrew Miller and Michel Petrucciani. Not necessarily “household names”, these two incredible artists helped shape Josh’s (and countless other pianists) music, touch and sound. Join Nelson and his trio for a night of music honoring these two pianist/composers.
- Thu, Oct 26Sam FirstOct 26, 7:30 PM – 10:30 PMGRAMMY-winning pianist/composer Kris Davis draws from the musical worlds of free improvisation, spoken word, electronica, mainstream jazz, R&B and rock. Among her many accolades, Davis was named a 2021 Doris Duke Artist alongside Wayne Shorter & Danilo Perez.